Friday, January 18, 2013

Fortnightly the Second, being that which is Unfinished.

I'm not organized or motivated enough to offer a succinct list of my intended projects for the next few stages of the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge, but here's the plan for HSF #2:


 Courtesy of the Met, of course.

And here's where things are at the moment:

Consider the irony of the "recycle" emblem on the box. Thank you.

The retro-looking brown stuff is to be the lining. I am using it as the lining because it's convenient and free, and because it bears more than a passing resemblance to some of the astonishingly modern-looking cotton prints from the London Foundling Hospital billet books. 

A textile from one of the London Foundling Hospital billet books, entry 6671. From Exhibiting Fashion.

The authenticity of the print doesn't worry me much because the fiber content of the exterior fabric is far more uncertain. (Impeccable reasoning! I haz it!) The gold brocade contains nothing truly synthetic, as best as I can tell, but it is probably a cotton/silk or rayon/cotton blend. Furthermore, I'm not sure if a fabric so heavy would have been used for a dress. (For those of you playing the drinking game at home, this dress was actually started BEFORE this happened.) 

With that encouraging denouncement of my costuming integrity, onward and upward we go! 

2 comments:

  1. It's ok, I'm pretty sure I unwittingly used couch upholstery for my last gown. It didn't turn out LOOKING as heavy as it FELT. If I managed with fabric heavy enough to extinguish a large bonfire, I'm sure whatever you have will work out beautifully...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really LIKED that dress. This fabric feels like heaven... if heaven were made of super bulky brocade. It seems like it will breathe really well, but it is weighty. I got some pleats set in the skirt last night and they look chunky and adorable. But on the other hand, I've only ever used medium weight linen, cotton and silk taffeta for historical costuming in the past so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete